Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Make a Memory

Author(s): Hugo Manso
Location: Spain

"Make a Memory"
Directed and written by Adam Finberg

Main Cast
Johnny Depp …. Patrick Dreyfus
Sean Penn …. Julian Greene
Kristin Scott Thomas …. Elizabeth Green
Carice van Houten …. Ingrid Dreyfus
Billy Bob Thornton …. James McDougall
Tagline: "This is my story"

Synopsis: My name is Patick Dreyfus and I’m about to die.All began ten years ago: 1933. I was living in Germany, I was happily married, I was a writer and I was Jewish. I was about to publish my latest book but then, all started...The government started killing everyone who was not Arian, Jewish people were in danger. My wife Ingrid (Carice van Houten) and I owned a little bookstore. We had heard rumours that they were arresting and killing Jewish people and we were afraid. One day, mi wife was working in the bookstore while I was out. All the sudden, two Nazi soldiers rushed into the store and cruelly, they killed her and destroyed all our books. When I saw them leaving, I threw everything and I started running towards the store. Then I saw her…dead. She was pregnant. I ran outside but they were gone. I would never forget those faces. I couldn’t stay there, they would kill me. I had no choice, I had to leave.I had nobody. I got into a ship and I left. I found myself asking this: Am I doing it wrong? Am I a coward? I didn’t know if I was doing things wrong but I was sure I wasn’t scared. What could I lose? Nothing, I had already lost everything. Several days later, I arrived to New York. My life there wasn’t easy. I still had some money so I lived quite well but It was pretty urgent for me to start writing and publishing books if I wanted to survive in America. While looking for a job, I met businessman Julian Green (Sean Penn). He and his wife (Kristin Scott Thomas) became my best friends.One year later I got to publish my first book but It wasn’t a hit. My boss (Billy Bob Thornton) gave me an ultimatum. I had six months to come up with a hit. I ran out of money and I had to live with my friends. There was where I got my inspiration. Elizabeth asked me if I could tell her my story, I did. I don’t know how but she convinced me to make a book of it: my memories. I started writing. It took so long. I realized too many things meanwhile. It’s hard to face old ghosts. While writing, too many tears were dropped by Elizabeth.Six months later, my book was finished. In that book I criticised Germany’s new government. The book became a hit, a really huge hit. I found myself fulfilled. I was free again. My wife’s death was avenged. I got enough money to live for the rest of my life, eventually I would write something but just because I love writing. As I said it was a huge hit, the book reached European coasts. Some people weren’t happy with it, so here I am, lying in the ground with a shot in my stomach and two Nazis around me. I recognize those faces. I do. I will never forget those faces.Now, I’m dead.

What the Press would say:
The movie starts with two Nazi soldiers hitting a man, a Jewish man they would eventually shot to death. With his last breath, he can barely pronounce those haunting words: “I’m Patrick Dreyfus. This is my story”.Adam Finberg has done a great job, Make a Memory is clearly one of the most intriguing films of the year. The exceptional script along with the superb performances produce a very emotional experience for the viewer. Controversial per se, Make a Memory is a captivating drama that will undoubtedly evoke ghosts from the past...Johnny Depp as Patrick Dreyfus gives a career-defining performance. Sean Penn is passionate as usual but Kristin Scott Thomas is the big surprise in Make a Memory with her delightful performance. She steals every scene, at least every scene Johnny Depp isn’t in it. Supporting performances by Carice van Houten and Billy Bob Thornton are also remarkable. The former seems to be a step closer to Hollywood.The theme of the movie is very intriguing and thought-provoking. You know many stories like this happened but when you see this masterpiece, unique sensations flow all over your body. This is just a wonderful movie. With and indie spirit to it, this movie is poised to rule the awards circuit this season.

FYC
Best Picture (drama)
Best Director
Best Original Screenplay
Best Actor (Johnny Depp)
Best Supporting Actress (Kristin Scott-Thomas)
Best Supporting Actress (Carice van Houten)
Best Supporting Actor (Sean Penn)

No comments: